Who doesn’t love a good deal? I know I do! Especially when there are a lot of money to save on flights. Flying around the world can be quite expensive, but it doesn’t have to be. You just have to be smart when booking your flight. You can easily research some great tips and tricks travellers use when booking their flights. I spend a ton of money on flights each year, but I would much rather spend my money on exploring my destination. I’m sure most people would. Which is why I want to share my best tips and tricks and my booking process step by step, so that you can get the best deal possible on your next flight.
I usually use Safari when searching for flights. However the steps are the exact same when using Chrome or any other browser.
Getting the best deal on your next flight step by step:
- Start fresh. Delete all cookies in Safari and close all your open Safari windows.
- I delete my Safari history as well, however I’m not quite sure if this actually has any effect in this matter.
- Open a new window and search for one of the many flight search engines. I personally like Skyscanner and Momondo.
- Be flexible. Your dates should be as flexible as can be if you want the best deal. Sometimes it might be cheaper to fly on a Monday than on a Friday, or any other days for that matter.
- Use whatever tools offered to you. Skyscanner has a feature for cheapest month and also a great feature that allows you to select the month of your choosing and then comparing the prices of all the days in that month. This makes it so much easier for you to determine which dates you should fly on depending on the prices. If the site you’re on has any tools that will make it easier for you to get a good deal, use it.
- When looking through all the prices for flights, bear in mind that some airlines don’t include luggage in their original price. You may have to pay extra for your luggage and then the final price might be more expensive than some of your other options.
- You should always check more than one site, just to make sure you get the best deal.
- Remember to repeat steps 1-3 if you decide to continue the search another day. Always start fresh when starting a new search.
- When you have found your date and your flight, consider which site you want to book the flight from. Not all sites are reliable. Therefore be critical when choosing. I like to book the flight directly from the airline site, however this option is rarely the cheapest one. It might be a bit more expensive, but often that is what I’m willing to pay to be sure I have booked the flight and get a flight confirmation email straight away. I have been in a situation where I booked and payed for a flight through a third party and then I got an email letting me know there had been an error during the booking from the third party to the actual airline, which meant that I didn’t have a flight nor the money I was supposed to spend on the flight. I had to wait an entire month to get that money back and then book a new flight directly from the airline. I don’t always have time to wait a month if this were to happen again, and therefore I’m very cautious if I’m booking through a third party. You should be too.
- You can always take a quick look at the airline site to see if they have any campaigns going on that will benefit you. Sometimes they have a promotion code for a holiday or an event. Typically the promotion codes will only apply if you travel within a certain period of time, therefore always read the conditions.
- Early birds typically get the best deals. No need to wait. Most of the time the prices just keep getting more and more expensive the closer the departure date gets. Or worst case scenario, sell out. Last year I went to Thailand in December. I booked my flights in July at a certain price. In October the price of the same exact flight had increased by 50%. If you for some reason can’t book the flight early, just keep an eye on the price every now and then. Some sites have price alerts they will send to your email if the price of the flight you’re looking at either increases or decreases.
- When you feel like you have found the best deal you’re gonna get, go ahead and book that flight as soon as possible.
I hope you found some of these tips and tricks helpful. Give them a try when you book your next flight.
Comment below any and all of your tips and tricks on how to get the best deal on flights. I would love to try them out!
Pin it for later!